Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Watergate Family - Goodwill made a difference

Greetings,

I hope this email finds you all in good health and having a happy 2011 new year! I've had a very busy past few weeks which is why this email is arriving a little later than I would have liked.

Thank you to everyone for your kindness and generosity during the 2010 Christmas season and helping our adopted family. Because of your generosity, this family had one of the best holidays during one of their toughest times. We were able to provide the family with clothes and NUMEROUS toys for all three children. The mother and father were overwhelmed by the donations and generosity shown. The family still did not want public attention and preferred to remain anonymous for reasons I'm sure everyone could understand.

During the Toys for Tots toy drive, the oldest son of the family volunteered approximately 20 hours helping sort and distribute toys in his community. He donated approximately 8 hours during our Thanksgiving food drive in November.

I approached several local businesses which were more than eager to assist! Lowes donated a grill for the family and even gave a few boxes of wood projects for the kids!

Gold Coast Tire and Auto donated tires, mounting and balancing for the family's' most used vehicle and even donated a free oil change!

Other holiday donations included free game and movie rentals from Blockbuster and two used games from Game Stop for the kids as well.

Mrs. Otto donated two VERY COOL Star Wars light sabers to the family and I have to say was the favorite toy of the day according to the mother of the family! Thank you Rosemary!
I must say that meeting Mrs. Otto was a very cool experience. My partner Mike Walsh and I received a short history lesson of how Lake Worth USED to be....and I was able to see first hand what an amazing artist she is!

We had a very nice basketball hoop and base donated by Vicki Smith. And after a little polishing with some Armorall, it looked like it just came from the showroom! Thank you Vicki!!

Back in October, I began working with an organization called 800 CharityCars, an organization that identifies families in need and assists them with reliable transportation through donations of automobiles. After weeks of numerous contacts with their representative and numerous attempts to get the family to complete the application form it finally happened! On December 24th, Christmas eve, the family met with me at an auto shop in Delray Beach and picked up their new ( well, new-ER) car! A 2001 Mazda Tribute! After many tears from the family and about a half hour to let it all sink in....the Mazda had a new family and the family now had a nice, reliable car! Now THATS a Christmas present!!

The generosity and goodwill displayed by you during the past holiday season was nearly overwhelming to me and I am thankful to have had the opportunity to meet some of you, speak with alot of you and know that there are good people still in this world. In my line of work, I usually meet those who do not want to meet me and usually I am not greeted with warm welcomes. It is nice to know that when there are those in need, there are those who help.

Thank you all and may you all have the best year yet!!

Cpl. Shawn A. Goddard #7510
Palm Beach County Sheriffs Office
Community Policing Unit
Field Training Officer
District 7 - Boca Raton
ofc: 561-483-9463

No comments:

Post a Comment